– I was going through some really old, and really weird, W.S.B. movies like – ‘The Cut Ups’ for example – by William S. Burroughs and Antony Balch from 1966:
***Click for: THE DREAM MACHINE***
**THE MOST INTERESTING MAGAZINE
– The Dreamachine was invented by poet Brion Gysin and mathemetician Ian Sommerville in 1959. Based on Gysin’s divinitory use of Sufic geometry, the motorized lamp relies on the flickering of Ishmaelite archetypes to yield an oracular state. American novelist William S. Burroughs, a devout champion of Hassan I Sabbah (“Nothing is true, everything is permitted”), made rather extensive use of the Dreamachine as a source of inspiration throughout his career.
– In its original form, the Dreamachine is made from a cylinder with slits cut in the sides. The cylinder is placed on a record turntable and rotated at 78 RPM or 45 RPM. A light bulb is suspended in the center of the cylinder and the rotation speed allows the light to come out from the holes at a constant frequency, situated between 8 and 13 pulses per second. This frequency range corresponds to alpha waves, electrical oscillations normally present in the human brain while relaxing.
– The Dreamachine is “viewed” with the eyes closed: the pulsating light stimulates the optical nerve and alters the brain’s electrical oscillations. The “viewer” experiences increasingly bright, complex patterns of color behind their closed eyelids. The patterns become shapes and symbols, swirling around, until the “viewer” feels surrounded by colors. It is claimed that viewing a Dreamachine allows one to enter a hypnagogic state. This experience may sometimes be quite intense, but to escape from it, one needs only to open one’s eyes.
– Initially, most users observe something akin to a perpetually metamorphosing Persian rug. Within 10 to 15 minutes, entoptic effects are likely to segue into a series of cinematic images, as the brain endeavors to find order in an otherwise endless, abstract chaos. During this process, sensitive users may enter lucid dreaming.
– Normally, an awake person’s brain functions at between 4 and 8 electrical pulses per second (hertz, or hz). When the Dreamachine’s 10 flickers per second strike closed lids, however, the optic nerve sends a 10 hz pulse signal into the cortical tissue. Because the amplitude of the newly introduced signal is greater than that of the waking brain’s normal frequency, the waking brain now operates at 10 hz, the synaptic rate associated with the edge of dreams.
– The reason for its five discrete shapes lies in the mathematically calculated rate of flicker generated by precise placement of a lamp fixture within the rotating cylinder. The user sits or stands very close to the machine (nose approximately two inches from cylinder), eyes closed. The flickering light induces Alpha waves to defeat Beta waves normally active in the “awake” brain. By subtly shifting facial positioning and proximity to the machine, an Alpha range of light interruptions (8-13hz) opens to the user. Effects of such periodic waves on the human brain vary among users.
You can try a Dreamachine right here in your browser:
For a proper effect sit rather close to the monitor, and remember to close your eyes.
Monitors are not as bright as light bulbs, so turning off the room lights, and making the monitor the only light can help too.
Dream Machine Simulator:
*Just for fun, here’s “Welcome to Society” and 10+ psychedelics*
“Welcome to society, hope you enjoy your stay,
Please feel free to be yourself, as long as it’s our way,
Be sure to love your body, but too much and we’ll tear you down,
We’ll take awau your smile, and then ask you why you frown,
Tell you that you’re free to speak, but not to make a sound,
And we’ll pretend to cry, as you’re buried in the ground,
You can fall in love with anyone, as long as we get to choose,
You can have your own opinions too, but shape them to our views,
Welcome To Society… We promise we won’t decieve,
Oh, and one more thing now that you’re here..
There’s no way you can leave…”
– Twitter: @Overkill_MSA – #Flipboard #Magazines –
*Mind Space Apocalypse on facebook*